Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Where That Boy's Hat At?*

One of the things we love about McKay's new school is the feedback we get from his teachers. We get one (or more) email each day from at least one of his teachers telling us about his time away from us. This one was sent to me a few minutes ago from his teacher Wendy.

I had a sweet conversation with McKay today that I wanted to share. The children were getting ready to go outside and McKay asked me to zip him up.
I said "Don't forget your toque."
"What's a toque?" McKay asked.
I explained that it's a Canadian word for a woolly hat. A toque is what we call this kind of hat in Canada.
McKay said thoughtfully, "Oh, we don't call it a toque at my house we call it a hat. We don't use that Canada word in my family, we speak Atlanta."

You can take the boy out of the south, but you can't take the south out of the boy. We're missing you Atlanta!

* one of our Kirkwood 'hood neighbours would yell this across the street at us every time he saw M. outside in the summer without his sun hat on.


« Previous | Next »


No comments:

About Me

My photo
Places We've called Home: Kingston ON Chicago IL Atlanta GA Vancouver BC