Wednesday, October 11, 2006

MacGuyver


About a year ago we stopped GeoCaching.

Not because of any loss of interest (although we'd hit a bit of a hurdle and hadn't had any recent successes), but because our waterproof Garmin Etrex Vista suffered some trauma. Wet trauma. Wet soapy trauma. Followed by a spin cycle (front loader) and yep, even through the dryer. Hiking in the south is quite strenuous.

Needless to say...it didn't turn on. With my fab new ebay skills I thought about buying a new one. Crap, too expensive. Hmm, ok, how about the forums at groundspeak? While I'm here, I might as well see what people say about GPS'rs not turning on. Well, Well, lookey here...."Vista LED repair". With colour pictures.

20 minutes later and we have Satellite. 8 of them, and the caches I put in to find when I was in Vancouver in the spring of 2004 showing up just a few blocks from our house. The repair all went very smoothely, didn't have any electronic cleaning fluid, so I used Samson's "drool diaper" soaked in gin.

The Highland Park Rangers/HighlandPark Rangers are back in the saddle, er..hiking boots?


« Previous | Next »

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Places We've called Home: Kingston ON Chicago IL Atlanta GA Vancouver BC