Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Behind the Silicon Curtain

It would seem that our border is a semi-permeable one.

I read this week about Americans coming across the border to get flu shots. The Vancouver airport has clinics set up to do this, and cruise ship operators are offering it as an optional excursion on their activities calendar. This is fine, I agree with this, "Send us your sick..." etc...

However, can I get one (ok 4) measly downloads off the web? NO.
Read some good reviews of Jericho. Checking out their website to see if anything was going to be rebroadcasted showed me that I could watch the episodes right from their site. Cooool. I love technology. Made a cup of coffee, leaned back in my chair, and hit play. Three commercials later, I'm informed "this product is not available in Canada". Hmm. Uhhm, ok. It really is, though, it's been on TV, you see.

A little bit of net sleuthing leads me to a list where people of ALL nationalities (well, Australia and Sweden anyhow) are downloading this and watching it from itunes. Hop on over there, it can be mine for a mere $1.98. Ok, I'll pay that. Sign up for i-tunes. (Yeah, I know, join the millennium etc..). It won't accept my American credit card. Says it's not valid in Canada. Odd, since we've been using it every day sparingly since we got here. Shrugged that off, and used another card (Canadian). That goes fine, I'm registered, once again, hit download. "That item is not available in Canada, would you like to switch to the US store?". Uh, ok...that's fine. Search again, hit download, "I'm sorry, that credit card can not be used in the US."

Oh yeah? I don't even like TV anyhow, where's my friggen book?


« Previous | Next »

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Places We've called Home: Kingston ON Chicago IL Atlanta GA Vancouver BC