Thursday, September 07, 2006

7.7 on the parenting Richter Scale


We were asked last week to make an Earthquake kit for Mckay to have at school.
"No Problemo", I thought. Lots of problemos actually. To do this, it meant I had to think of what he would need/want if he were at school during an earthquake....without me. Which means I'm not with HIM. During an earthquake. 2.2 million years of evolution (+/- a primate or two) told me this was just NOT OK. Started with the easy stuff, Name (check); Address (check); Phone number (check); contact outside the region (er....)
If they're calling outside the region, it means they can't find us. If they can't find us, should they call H at work? H&C at home? C's cell? Someone in Atlanta.....????? K&K because they're closest? Wait...is Portland in the same Earthquake Zone?
Ok, back to the easy stuff; "In event that the school is unsafe, your child will be taken to the Dunbar Community Centre."
Quick google-quest. Ok...I can find that. Walking. 7.2km away. While buildings fall and burn around me. If I take KingEdward I should be able to avoid any Tsunami effects.
After much procrastination, and avoiding eyecontact with it, I had to write the damn reassuring letter.

Dear McKay: Mom and Dad will pick you up soon.

But what if we don't, what if we're dead? Would it traumitize him for life to see in the letter that we SAID we'd pick him up and don't?
You are such a brave sheep, it's ok to be scared.
What if he's not being brave, will this make him feel bad? What if he wasn't scared until he read it in the letter? Ok, Ok...wait, back to Google: "earthquake letter toddler"
I love you very much. I am so happy that God gave you to me. I am so proud to be your parent. You make my life better. I will try my best to be the best parent that I can be.
Great...perfect. This letter is all about the parent....well, and God. Ok, back to the drawing board. Two hours later I came up with the 86 words (342 characters) that are supposed to make up for me not being with my first (only) born during a lifethreatening event.
-------------------------------

Dear McKay;

Mommy and Daddy love you very much and will pick you up as soon as we can get there safely.

So good, so handsome, so smart.

Your teachers are going to take care of you and make sure your body stays safe because there was a scary earthquake. You’re being a very brave sheep.

Do you remember when Grampa took the picture of us above in Chicago? It was a great day.

We love you best and will see you soon;

Mom and Dad


No comments:

About Me

My photo
Places We've called Home: Kingston ON Chicago IL Atlanta GA Vancouver BC